NSWCHS win girls’ National Youth Championships crown

first_imgThere are plenty of ways to keep up-to-date with all of the latest results, news and information from the 2014 National Youth Championships (NYC). The Touch Football Australia and NYC websites will be updated regularly throughout the event with all of the latest information and can be found by clicking on the links below: www.nyc.mytouchfooty.com www.touchfootball.com.au All of Touch Football Australia’s social media pages will be regularly updated throughout the NYC event, so be sure to ‘like’ and ‘follow’ us by clicking on the links below. Facebook – www.facebook.com/touchfootballaustralia Twitter – www.twitter.com/touchfootyaus (be sure to use the hashtag #nationalyouthchamps) Instagram – www.instagram.com/touchfootballaustralia (be sure to use the hashtag #nationalyouthchamps) The TFA YouTube channel will also have highlights and game live streamed throughout the event. Please click on the link below to be taken to the channel, and be sure to become a subscriber to the channel – www.youtube.com/touchfootballausRelated LinksNYC girls final By BEN HARRIS New South Wales Combined High Schools won their first National Youth Championships girls title since 2011 and their fifth overall when they defeated Queensland Secondary Schools Touch 4-3 in the final on Saturday afternoon.NSWCHS got out of the blocks in sensational style, scoring two touchdowns to Bailey Toleafoa and Shannon Rose in the opening minutes.QSST scored midway through the first half to make it 2-1, which remained the score until half-time.In an entertaining match that went end-to-end, superb attacking and defensive skills were on show.Kirra Dibb scored for NSWCHS to make it 3-1 but QSST scored in their next set through Emma Sykes.Another touchdown by Taryn Love again put NSWCHS up by two touchdowns.But when Tamika Upton scored for QSST with 10 minutes to go, the match was on a knife’s edge.It remained that way for the rest of the game but NSWCHS were able to hold on to claim the championship with a 4-3 victory.NEW SOUTH WALES COMBINED HIGH SCHOOLS 4 (Bailey Toleafoa, Shannon Rose, Kirra Dibb, Taryn Love touchdowns) def QUEENS;AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS TOUCH 3 (Emma Sykes, Tamika Upton, Tanielle Larkin touchdowns). HT: NSWCHS 2-1.last_img read more

Read more →

Toronto constable who shot teen arrested for allegedly breaching bail conditions

first_imgTORONTO – A Toronto police officer convicted of attempted murder in the fatal shooting of a teen on an empty streetcar four years ago was charged Wednesday with breaching his bail conditions.Ontario’s police watchdog said Const. James Forcillo — who has been on bail as he appeals his conviction — was accused of breaching the conditions related to his house arrest, but gave no other details about the case.Toronto police said Forcillo was charged with failing to comply with recognizance. Forcillo’s lawyer, Peter Brauti, said a bail hearing on the new charge was put over to Friday.Forcillo had his bail conditions extended in late September, a day before he was set to appeal his conviction in the 2013 death of Sammy Yatim.Yatim’s killing set off a wave of public outrage and protests after a video of the shooting went viral. The judge overseeing Forcillo’s trial called the video “powerful evidence” that what the officer said happened that night did not actually occur.Ontario Superior Court Justice Edward Then found Forcillo had abused his authority in a manner that undermined public trust in law enforcement and the justice system.Forcillo was found guilty last year of attempted murder but was acquitted of the more serious charge of second-degree murder for shooting 18-year-old Yatim multiple times. He was sentenced to six years behind bars, a year more than the mandatory minimum.He has since asked the appeal court to substitute a not-guilty verdict or order a new trial in his case, arguing Then was wrong to exclude evidence meant to suggest Yatim was trying to commit “suicide by cop,” where a person behaves threateningly in order to trigger a lethal response from law enforcement.Forcillo’s lawyers have also alleged Then erred in instructing jurors to view two volleys of bullets fired by Forcillo as separate incidents, and to consider the charge of attempted murder.They argue that opened the door for a compromise verdict, where jurors find someone guilty of a lesser charge rather than convicting of a more serious one or acquitting them entirely.Forcillo is also seeking a declaration that the mandatory minimum sentence for attempted murder is unconstitutional, and wants to be granted a suspended sentence. Barring that, he wants his sentence reduced to the minimum five years.last_img read more

Read more →

Japans premier New emperors era to be announced April 1

first_imgTOKYO — Japan’s prime minister confirmed in his New Year’s news conference that the era name for the new emperor’s reign will be disclosed April 1.Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Friday that 2019 will mark pivotal times for Japan, repeatedly referring to Emperor Akihito’s stepping down.Akihito has chosen to buck tradition and abdicate while he is alive, citing frail health. His son becomes emperor May 1.Era names are important as they are needed to determine what year it is in the traditional Japanese calendar.Abe also expressed hopes for better relations with North Korea, extolled free trade and reiterated the importance of Japan’s alliance with the U.S.He also said Japan will show leadership at the Group of 20 summit that it’s hosting for the first time this year.The Associated Presslast_img read more

Read more →

Ensign shares jump as driller notes lower loss higher revenue in third

first_imgEnsign, which moved a drilling rig from Canada into the U.S. earlier this year, reported third-quarter revenue from activity in Canada dropped by 11 percent from last year, while U.S. revenue rose by 30 percent.Last week, the Petroleum Services Association of Canada predicted a total of 6,600 wells will be drilled in Canada in 2019, down about five percent from an expected 6,980 wells this year, adding that translates to a year-over-year decrease of up to $1.8 billion in capital spending by exploration and production companies.Calgary-based Ensign had no update on its hostile takeover bid of $470-million in cash for cross-town rival Trinidad Drilling Ltd. it launched in August.Trinidad’s board last month recommended shareholders accept instead an all-shares bid valued at $540 million from Calgary-based Precision Drilling Ltd.(THE CANADIAN PRESS) CALGARY, A.B. – Shares in Ensign Energy Services Inc. rose about eight percent on Monday morning after it reported a smaller loss in its third quarter compared with a year ago, while revenue grew 17 percent.The drilling company says it lost $32.8 million or 21 cents per share on revenue of $289 million, compared with a loss of $36.5 million or 23 cents per share on revenue of $247 million in the third quarter of 2017.The results closely matched analyst expectations, according to Thomson Reuters Eikon.last_img read more

Read more →

Libya braces for protests against protracted transition

first_imgTRIPOLI – Security forces braced for protests Friday against Libya’s protracted political transition following the ouster of longtime dictator Moamer Kadhafi, with fears of more violence after an overnight attack on army headquarters.Tensions have risen after a decision by Libya’s highest political authority, the General National Congress, to extend its interim mandate.Rival camps, many of them armed, have lined up for and against the GNC and its decision. Interim Interior Minister Seddik Abdelkarim, who escaped an assassination bid late last month, issued an order late Thursday for security forces to “protect peaceful demonstrators.”But the “No Extension” movement, which has sponsored a number of recent demonstrations demanding the GNC’s dissolution, is so concerned about the risk of violence that it was not formally organising any protests on Friday.A statement said any of its backers demonstrating would be doing so “as individuals expressing their opinions.”One member of the group said that, “given the current tensions, we cannot guarantee the security of demonstrators… With so many armed groups, we fear things could get out of hand.”No announcements have been made about where any demonstrations may take place, but they are expected after midday prayers on the Muslim day of rest.The growing insecurity in Libya more than two years after Kadhafi’s ouster and killing, was highlighted in the capital late Thursday, with a military spokesman saying unidentified gunmen had tried to enter army headquarters but guards prevented them from doing so.“The attackers ransacked cars and stole some weapons before pulling back,” Colonel Ali al-Sheikhi told AFP of the incident, in which no one was hurt.A separate military source gave a different version of events, saying fighting broke out after a dispute among soldiers.The GNC was elected in July 2012 for a term of 18 months that should have ended on Friday. But on Monday, it ratified a decision to extend its mandate to December.It took the decision despite the opposition of much of the population critical of its inability to halt Libya’s slide into lawlessness and chaos.Political activist Abu Bakar al-Badrid described the move as “a farce… About 40 initiatives were presented to the Congress these past few days to find a way out of the crisis, and it paid no attention.”The Operations Cell of Revolutionaries, an Islamist militia of ex-rebels said to be close to the army, has lined up behind the GNC, and the powerful armed groups from Libya’s third city Misrata have called the body “a red line.”But rival former rebels from Zintan, in the mountains southwest of Tripoli, an influential force in post-Kadhafi Libya, have vowed to protect any popular movement that goes against the GNC.The GNC’s mission has been to organise elections to a constituent assembly later this month which are to be followed by a general election.The assembly, to be made up of 60 members with equal representation for Libya’s three historic regions, will decide on key issues in a new constitution, including the system of government, the status of minorities and the role of Islamic sharia law.The political bickering comes at a time of uncertainty over the fate of independent Prime Minister Ali Zeidan, who defeated an Islamist-backed confidence vote against his government but is still on the defensive.last_img read more

Read more →

Abidjan King Mohammed VI welcomes Ivorian President after his recovery abroad

first_imgAbidjan – King Mohammed VI welcomed, Sunday at the international airport of Félix Houphouet-Boigny in Abidjan, Alassane Ouattara, President of the Republic of Côte d’Ivoire, during his return ceremony to Abidjan, after a period of recovery abroad.During this meeting, which was held at the VIP lounge of the airport, the King reiterated his sincere wishes for a speedy recovery and good health to President Ouattara to continue his tireless work for the Ivorian people.This welcome reflects the historical, unique and exemplary ties binding the two brotherly countries and the constant will of King Mohammed VI to make of the Moroccan-Ivorian cooperation a model for South-South partnership. It is also part of the strong relations between the two heads of State. A warm popular welcome was reserved for President Ouattara on the occasion of his return to his countrylast_img read more

Read more →

Ohio State mens soccer drops 3rd straight game

OSU redshirt-senior goalkeeper Alex Ivanov winds up to kick the ball during a game against Akron Sept. 24 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. OSU lost 3-1Credit: Ben Jackson / For The LanternIn the span of six days, the Ohio State men’s soccer team went from being undefeated to holding a losing record.The Buckeyes’ (2-3-3, 1-1-0) loss to Dayton (4-3-1) on Saturday was their third in a row. OSU was unable to muster much of an offensive threat throughout the contest, falling 1-0.The two teams were each held scoreless for much of the afternoon.It was not until late in the 83rd minute that the Flyers broke through with a goal. Junior forward Amass Amankona dribbled through the box and passed it to his left to redshirt-junior forward Ryan Peterson. Peterson then put it past OSU redshirt-senior goalkeeper Alex Ivanov for his second goal of the year.OSU only managed two shots on goal in the game, one in each half. Dayton managed six shots on goal, with Ivanov saving five of them.OSU did manage to outshoot the Flyers 11-10 overall, despite failing to put nine of them on target.OSU’s best opportunity came during the 15th minute when sophomore forward Danny Jensen got the first half’s lone shot on goal for OSU. However, he was unable to put it home and the game remained scoreless.On top of dropping their last three games, things could only become more difficult over the next two weeks for the Buckeyes.Three of their next four games are scheduled to come against schools ranked in the top 20. Their next two games are against No. 9 Louisville and No. 16 Michigan State, before getting a potential breather against winless Oakland.The Buckeyes are set to look to end the losing streak at Louisville in Louisville, Ky., on Tuesday. That game is scheduled to kick off at 7:30 p.m. OSU’s matchup with the Spartans is set for Saturday at 7 p.m. at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. read more

Read more →

Dean Bouzani on loan to PEC Zwolle

first_imgMelbourne City has opened up on Friday about Dean Bouzani’s move to join the European club, Pec Zwolle, on a loan.Bouzani watched Zwolle from the bench on Monday as they went on to win their host Groningen in a 1-0 victory. It was the club’s first win in four matches.Bouzani is over at Zwolle to stand in for Diederik Boer who is currently nursing an injury. However, in clause in his transfer deal gives his new side the right to sign him over should he impress the club enough.Sepp Van den Berg thought Liverpool rumors were a joke Taimoor Khan – June 27, 2019 Liverpool have snapped up Sepp Van Den Berg from PEC Zwolle after initially thinking that rumors linking him with Anfield were not true.Sepp van…Football Network has it that Zwolle will feel so much like Melbourne City to Zwolle as there is a handful of people he has been with at City there. These people include his former coach at City John van ‘t Schip who is currently managing Zwolle, and his former teammate Denis Genreau, who is also on loan at Zwolle.Bouzani had made 46 appearances for City since he moved over to their camp from Western Sydney Wanderers in the middle of the 2015/16 season. He had kept 7 clean sheets and conceded only 26 goals in the previous season.last_img read more

Read more →

Legislature Is Looking At Potentially Borrowing 1 Billion To Pay Oil Debt

first_imgStory as aired: Audio PlayerJennifer-on-oil-tax-lending-bill.mp3VmJennifer-on-oil-tax-lending-bill.mp300:00RPd Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The Alaska Legislature is considering a proposal that would allow the state to borrow up to $1 billion from global markets in order to cover the debt it owes to oil and gas companies. According to BlueCrest CEO Benjamin Johnson the $525 million project for BlueCrest has spent roughly $400 million and is expecting the other $125 million back from the state. But, the company has only received $27 million back in tax credits, and caused the company to take an ‘operational pause’ in order to obtain additional funding. Senate Bill 176; “An Act establishing the Alaska Tax Credit Certificate Bond Corporation; relating to purchases of tax credit certificates; relating to overriding royalty interest agreements; and providing for an effective date.” Companies like BlueCrest who started their Cosmopolitan project out in Anchor Point based on a partnership proposed by the state in 2014. The state promised billions of dollars in tax credits to smaller oil and gas companies between 2003 and 2017. But when petroleum prices plunged, the state could no longer afford to pay the credits. According to text written within the bill the debt is estimated to be be closer to $1 billion once the expected applications are submitted this year. SB 176 remains in the Senate Resources Committee as of this morning. Governor Walker signed HB111, a bill ending cash credits, into law at the end of July in 2017. The state has been paying only the minimum amount on what it owes in tax credits to companies for the past several years, but as of December 31, the state owes $806 million in credits.last_img read more

Read more →