Texas federal judge rules CDC’s pandemic eviction moratorium unconstitutional

first_imgTonight, a federal district court judge in TX ruled the CDC eviction moratorium unconstitutional.Renters, don’t panic: THE MORATORIUM IS STILL IN EFFECT. The judge did NOT issue an injunction. But he may in near future. The CDC must appeal immediately.— Diane Yentel (@dianeyentel) February 26, 2021Comprehensive, national eviction risk data is scant. An analysis released last month by Moody’s Analytics and the Urban Institute said that some 10 million renters are behind on paying rent and risk being evicted. Moreover, the typical delinquent renter is almost four months and $5,600 behind on monthly rent and utility payments as of January, according to the analysis.“To put that into some perspective, approximately seven million households lost their homes in foreclosure during the five darkest years of the global financial crisis,” the researchers wrote. “Here we have 10 million families facing a similar fate over a matter of months.”Those who have fallen behind in their rent “are among the most vulnerable members of society” and are also “more likely to be families of color,” the researchers added.These concerns were echoed in a separate survey released earlier this month by a coalition of advocacy groups including Color of Change, the National Employment Law Project, the TIME’S UP Foundation Impact Lab and the Worker Institute at Cornell ILR that looked at COVID-19-related inequities.Those researchers found that 42% of Black workers, 39% of Latinx workers and 21% of white workers “expressed some level of concern that their household would face eviction or foreclosure” in the coming year.Copyright © 2021, ABC Audio. All rights reserved. Kuzma/iStockBy CATHERINE THORBECKE, ABC News(TYLER, Texas) — A federal judge has ruled the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s pandemic eviction ban is unconstitutional.J. Campbell Barker, a Trump-nominated judge in the Eastern District of Texas, issued the 21-page ruling Thursday in response to a lawsuit from a group of landlords and property managers.“The federal government cannot say that it has ever before invoked its power over interstate commerce to impose a residential eviction moratorium,” Barker wrote, noting that it did not do so during the Spanish Flu pandemic or during the Great Depression. “The federal government has not claimed such a power at any point during our nation’s history until last year.”Ultimately, Barker deemed the measure unconstitutional, writing: “Although the COVID-19 pandemic persists, so does the Constitution.”The Trump administration announced the federal eviction moratorium through an order from the CDC last September in response to the pandemic. It was set to expire at the end of January but has been extended through the end of March.Brian Morgenstern, deputy White House press secretary at the time, said when it was announced that the moratorium “means that people struggling to pay rent due to the coronavirus will not have to worry about being evicted and risk further spreading … or exposure to the disease due to economic hardship.”The CDC did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment on Friday. The Department of Justice, which represented the government, declined to comment.Diane Yentel, the president and CEO of the the National Low Income Housing Coalition, urged the CDC to appeal the ruling “immediately.”last_img read more

Read more →

AFCONonCiti: I was not comfortable with my position- Kwadwo Asamoah

first_imgGhana vice captain, Kwadwo Asamoah, has admitted he did not play his best game against Cameroon because of the position he was assigned.The Inter Milan versatile midfielder was deployed in a left sided midfield role, just ahead of left back Baba Rahman in Ghana’s Group F clash against the Indomitable Lions which ended 0-0.The 30 year old struggled to impose himself in the game and was subsequently replaced by General Captain Asamoah Gyan with 15 minutes to time.“It wasn’t the best game for me because I know what I can do when I play my normal position. I had difficulties in terms of positions but defensively it wasn’t a problem for me.“I was playing as a left sided midfielder which I’m not very comfortable with but I’m so happy with the result and I tried to do my best for the team,” Asamoah said told journalists after the game.Asamoah has continuously stressed his desire to play more centrally in the Black Stars set up and his absence from the team that drew 2-2 against Benin particularly raised eyebrows.The draw leaves Ghana needing to beat Guinea Bissau in their last game on Tuesday to qualify to the round of 16.last_img read more

Read more →

Solid season for Angels ends with silver medal at Little League Championships

first_imgThe Nelson Angels ran out of gas in the final of the 2013 West Kootenay Little League Baseball Championships Sunday in Trail.Despite playing a great game, the Angels lost 9-1 to a Trail team that did not make an error in the entire game.“Still a great season finished second in the league in the regular season beating Trail twice during the year but did not have enough to dethrone them in the playoffs,” said Nelson manager Corbin Comishin.Nelson received strong pitching from Harry Suh to start the game and was only down 3-0.But the errors started to mount allowing Trail to capitalize on the mistakes. Nelson opened with a slow start, down 6-1 entering the fifth.That’s when the Angels starting putting hits together, batting around the order to tie the game.The game went nine innings and it seemed Nelson was done trailing 9-6.However, another flurry of hits  — Connor Comishin started the inning with a triple, then Brendan Vulcano a double, Justin Lasichuk next with a single followed by Charles Curiston with a double and finally Blair Sookero pounded a ball to the fence to plate the winning run. Final 10-9 Nelson from a walk off hit in bottom of ninth without recording an out in the inning.Trail stuck it to the Angels in the second game, pounding Nelson 14-6.Facing elimination, the Angels found some offence against Beaver Valley.The Angels rode the outstanding pitching of Blair Sookero en route to an 11-1 lead after three innings.However, Beaver Valley rallied to close the gap to 12-10 before Connor Comishin came in to closeout the game.last_img read more

Read more →

SUPERSTAR UNIQUE BELLA CRUSHES FOES IN GRADE II, $200,000 LAS VIRGENES STAKES AS SMITH POINTS HER TO 8 ¾ LENGTH WIN; TRAINED BY HOLLENDORFER, SHE GETS FLAT MILE IN 1:35.66

first_imgARCADIA, Calif. (Feb. 5, 2017)–A stalking third around the Club House turn, America’s newest superstar 3-year-old could wait no longer with five furlongs to run and in the blink of an eye, Unique Bella, with Mike Smith at the controls, left last year’s Eclipse Award winning Juvenile Filly and three others in her dust en route to a commanding 8 ¾ length win in Sunday’s Grade II, $200,000 Las Virgenes Stakes at Santa Anita.  Trained by Jerry Hollendorfer, Unique Bella cruised a flat mile in 1:35.66.“The way she settled, I could’ve taken her even farther back (early),” said Smith, who has been aboard Unique Bella in all four of her career starts.  “At some point you have to let them be who they are; let them do what they’re good at.  I just let her do what she wanted to do and she picked it up and was well within herself.  It was an amazing race.“She’s very talented.  She created that move down the backstretch until about the quarter pole and she was well within herself from that point on.  Honestly, even then, and I didn’t want her to, she switched to her right lead and it took her there.”A Pennsylvania-bred daughter of Tapit, out of the Unbridled’s Song mare, Unrivaled Belle, Unique Bella, who was trying two turns for the first time following a 7 ½ length win in the seven furlong Santa Ynez (Grade II) here on Jan. 8, was the overwhelming 1-9 favorite in the tote board and with no show wagering, paid $2.20 and $2.10.“…I was pretty confident when Mike kind of made his move early, but I knew that he knew he had a lot of horse, so he just went for it and it turned out well,” said Hollendorfer.  “I really like to concentrate on the filly races…I’d like to keep her in California (for the Grade I, $400,000 Santa Anita Oaks on April 8) just like I did with (Eclipse Champion) Songbird last year.”Owned by Don Alberto Stable, Unique Bella is now 4-3-1-0 and with the winner’s share of $120,000, she increased her earnings to $282,400.In what developed into a separate race, Champagne Room, who had been idle since winning the Grade I Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies on Nov. 5, hooked up with recent maiden winner Mopotism turning for home, and it was “Mo” who proved best today, finishing second by 1 ¼ lengths.Ridden by Flavien Prat, Mopotism, who showed the way for the first quarter mile, was off at 13-1 and paid $4.00 to show.Champagne Room, who was ridden by Mario Gutierrez, was the second choice at 9-2, but had to settle for third, finishing 11 ½ lengths in front of Miss Southern Miss.Fractions on the race were 22.82, 45.62, 1:10.27 and 1:22.71.Racing resumes at Santa Anita on Thursday with first post time at 1 p.m. PENNSYLVANIA-BRED FILLY BY TAPIT TO BE POINTED TO GRADE I SANTA ANITA OAKS APRIL 8last_img read more

Read more →

Mike Fiers departs start with apparent injury against Rangers

first_imgARLINGTON — Mike Fiers left his start with trainers with two outs in the second inning. The A’s announced that he had right arm nerve tightness.Fiers spoke with trainers earlier in the inning, pointing to his forearm before taking some warm-up pitches. He then gave up a two-run home run to Rougned Odor, his fastball velocity dipped to the mid-80s and he departed after walking Delino DeShields.Related Articles What A’s winter ball performances can tell us about the second base …last_img

Read more →

2 days agoChelsea boss Lampard: Me? Scared?

first_imgChelsea boss Lampard: Me? Scared?by Paul Vegas2 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea boss Frank Lampard has dismissed claims of being intimidated by Ajax ahead of their Champions League encounter.The Blues are set for a critical match with the Eredivisie champions, who have won both of their first two Group H matches comfortably against Valencia and Lille.A journalist suggested during the pre-match press conference that he looks scared of the Dutch giants.However, the Chelsea legend brushed that comment off with a cheeky remark of his own claiming that “is just my face”.Lampard said: “That is just my face.“It is a really tough match against a team that we know how they performed last year and how they’ve started this group, winning both games comfortably.“So it’s going to be a tough match, I don’t think the five wins mean anything other than that hopefully we have some confidence.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Read more →

Legalities obstruct abuseinvestigation body for amateur athletes

first_imgOTTAWA — An outside body to investigate allegations of abuse and harassment in amateur sports is hung up on legalities, says Sports Minister Kirsty Duncan.Last week, Duncan announced a new code of conduct for handling abuse allegations in sport, from community teams to national sports organizations, but critics say it’s toothless.Cheryl Hardcastle, a Windsor, Ont., MP and the NDP critic for sport, has been calling for an independent investigative body for some time.“We started out with mandates and codes of conduct and it’s not enough,” said Hardcastle. “It’s not that it’s not working, it’s that it’s not enough to follow through on the complexities of these issues. Some of these investigations that are having to be done by organizations, they’re not even really equipped to do them.”Hardcastle said she thinks Canada should follow the lead of the United States, which has established the U.S. Center for SafeSport. The non-profit organization allows athletes in the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic movement to report sexual abuse, provides information on abuse-prevention techniques and policies, and keeps a public database of coaches and other sports figures disciplined for sexual misconduct.In an emailed statement, Duncan wrote that a third-party mechanism for investigating complaints in Canada is in the works but “legal and jurisdictional issues” need to be considered and that her officials are working with provinces and territories.Duncan also wrote that the outside body will eventually “ensure all athletes can feel safe and confident in disclosing incidents of abuse and be assured their case will be given due process.”Canadian Heritage spokesperson Daniel Savoie said in an email that the federal government already requires that all government-funded sports organizations allow for “access to an independent third party to address harassment and abuse cases.”But establishing that independent body for abuse allegations requires “support and collaboration between federal–provincial/territorial governments and the sport community,” wrote Savoie.Like other provinces, Alberta has been in talks with the federal government about how to reduce abuse in sports and recently hosted Canada’s sports ministers at a conference in Red Deer. They discussed the possibility of “a mechanism to report and monitor incidents of harassment, abuse, and discrimination in sport,” wrote Marion Nadar, a spokesperson for Alberta’s culture ministry.Nadar wrote that the ministry isn’t aware of any legal or jurisdictional obstacles that would prevent the creation of a third-party body to hear complaints.The provincial ministry that handles sport in British Columbia referred questions on the issue to the federal government. Ontario’s ministry condemned abuse in sport and said that province is working on a sports action plan but didn’t answer questions about problems with a third-party investigative body.Duncan’s announcement came shortly after a CBC investigation found over 200 coaches in Canada have been convicted of sexual abuse in the last 20 years and another 34 cases involving coaches are before the courts.—Follow @Dani_Edwards1 on TwitterDanielle Edwards, The Canadian Presslast_img read more

Read more →

Jute mill strike will not have any impact

first_imgKolkata: State Labour minister Moloy Ghatak reiterated on Thursday that the one-day strike call of jute mills by Centre of India Trade Unions (CITU) will prove futile with labourers joining work the next day. “The Left Front government had not increased the wages of jute mill workers from 2002 to 2010, which was Rs 100 a day during that time. In 2010, it was hiked to Rs 157 a day. We had raised it to Rs 258 per day in 2015 and on Wednesday we signed a historic contract hiking the daily wages of the employees to Rs 370 per day. This will immensely benefit the labourers of the jute mills,” Ghatak said. Also Read – Centuries-old Durga Pujas continue to be hit among revellersGhatak added that those who will work for 24 days a month will be getting an additional amount of Rs 15 per day. “A section of jute mill workers have often raised allegations against feeble attendance in jute mills. So the government has decided to pay those workers who are regular in their duties,” said Dola Sen, president of Indian National Trinamool Trade Union Congress. Terming the strike call by CITU as an attempt to create an atmosphere of disturbance in the state, Ghatak asserted that all 84 jute mills will remain open on Thursday and foil the strike called by CITU. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaSixteen of the 22 unions existing in jute mills in the state assured the minister that the employees will join work. Ghatak asserted that Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has taken significant steps to ensure that the workers’ interest and the work culture in the jute mills are upheld without resorting to any strikes. “The Left Front has not even paid dearness allowance (DA) for the workers for many years but we have been paying the DA to the workers along with Providend Fund and have almost fully cleared it. Ninety percent of the gratuities have also been cleared. So the strike call by the CITU union is nothing but ego satisfaction,” reiterated Sen. The state government has also constituted a three-member committee headed by a retired judge of High Court which will look into other issues of the jute mills and come out with a solution.last_img read more

Read more →

Ronaldo not angry to miss chance to score – Allegri

first_imgJuventus manager Massimiliano Allegri insists Cristiano Ronaldo is not angry despite missing a golden opportunity to score his first goal for the club.The Portuguese captain failed to score on his home debut as Juventus defeated Lazio 2-0 at the Allianz stadium in Turin.Ronaldo seemed certain to open his Serie A account in the 75th minute at the Allianz Stadium. Joao Cancelo rolled the ball across to his compatriot but goalkeeper Thomas Strakosha did just enough to stop him from tapping in from four metres, instead it ricocheted off Ronaldo’s feet and fell to Mario Mandzukic to score into an empty net.Upon this miss, the former Real Madrid star offered a wry smile before throwing his hands up in the air, and Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri promised that the Portuguese star was not upset after the miss.Cristiano Ronaldo, Nemanja Vidic, Manchester UnitedVidic: “Ronaldo is the most professional footballer I’ve seen” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Nemanja Vidic opened up on how a 21-year-old Cristiano Ronaldo’s professionalism left him stunned at Manchester United.“He is not angry at all, he smiled because these things happen,” Allegri said after the match, according to ESPN.Just as it was on Ronaldo’s debut last week, when Juventus won 3-2 at Chievo Verona, it was down to his teammates to fire the Bianconeri to victory, with Miralem Pjanic also netting as the seven-time defending champions downed Lazio.“It’s only two weeks that he’s with us,” Allegri said of Ronaldo’s adaptation.“He’s intelligent and understands that Italian football is different to that in Spain. Today he played well also in defense, everyone is waiting for his first goal. I’m happy with how he’s fitting in, he is a very humble lad.”last_img read more

Read more →

Dean Bouzani on loan to PEC Zwolle

first_imgMelbourne City has opened up on Friday about Dean Bouzani’s move to join the European club, Pec Zwolle, on a loan.Bouzani watched Zwolle from the bench on Monday as they went on to win their host Groningen in a 1-0 victory. It was the club’s first win in four matches.Bouzani is over at Zwolle to stand in for Diederik Boer who is currently nursing an injury. However, in clause in his transfer deal gives his new side the right to sign him over should he impress the club enough.Sepp Van den Berg thought Liverpool rumors were a joke Taimoor Khan – June 27, 2019 Liverpool have snapped up Sepp Van Den Berg from PEC Zwolle after initially thinking that rumors linking him with Anfield were not true.Sepp van…Football Network has it that Zwolle will feel so much like Melbourne City to Zwolle as there is a handful of people he has been with at City there. These people include his former coach at City John van ‘t Schip who is currently managing Zwolle, and his former teammate Denis Genreau, who is also on loan at Zwolle.Bouzani had made 46 appearances for City since he moved over to their camp from Western Sydney Wanderers in the middle of the 2015/16 season. He had kept 7 clean sheets and conceded only 26 goals in the previous season.last_img read more

Read more →