first_imgDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEREPORTS SATURDAYGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoWith only four matches scheduled for Saturday due to the FAI Junior Cup taking center stage over the weekend, the loss of action at the New Camp Complex in Killygordan meant that there was a very limited choice for the local soccer supporters to choose from. Of the action that did go ahead Gweedore United Reserves backed up their opening day victory with another win while Cranford United Reserves again lost out by a single goal. Donegal Town Reserves went behind, equalised, took the lead and then conceded an equaliser before falling behind for a second time and again equalising in a game that toed and froed at the Hospital Field in Donegal Town. Milford United Reserves registered their first points of the season while new boys Curragh Athletic Reserves joined the Gweedore men on six points without having to kick a ball as Keadue Rovers Reserves unfortunately couldn’t field a side and Strand Rovers still hunt for their first spoils of the season. Milford United Reserves 2 Cranford United Reserves 1Milford registered their first points of the season in this closely fought encounter played in perfect conditions at Moyle View. There were no clear chances until Milford took the lead after ten minutes when after good work by Hugh McMenamin, Ciran Blaney beat the offside trap to lob the keeper from twenty yards. Milford’s second came in the twentieth minute with Blaney getting his second with a finish from close range to leave it two nil at half time. Cranford went on the attack from the off in the second half but failed to create any clear cut chances. They pulled one back when Christopher Carr scored direct from a free kick with twenty five minutes remaining. Cranford piled on the pressure and had a shout for a penalty but the Milford defence stood strong. This was a hard fought win for Milford with both teams serving up a good game of football.Strand Rovers 1 Gweedore United Reserves 2Saturday offered ideal conditions for football with the sun shining brightly in Maghery. Gweedore got the ideal start to the match with a goal after only a few minutes. Strand pressed hard and came close on several occasions especially from set pieces. Strand then played in a low ball which caught out the Gweedore defence but good goalkeeping from the Gweedore keeper denied Brendan Glackin the opportunity to score. The home team pressed again and scored only to have it ruled out for offside. Gweedore rallied before the end of the half and were rewarded before the break with another goal,- assisted considerably by a defensive error from Strand. The second half started brightly with the home team pressing, trying to get a goal back and they were rewarded when team captain Brendan Brennan scored from the penalty spot. Strand pushed for the remainder of the match but Gweedore United held on. Scorers for Gweedore United were Aodh O’ Donnell and Owen De Barra. Man of the match was Brendan Glackin for Strand Rovers.Donegal Town Reserves 3 Glenree United Reserves 3A last minute David Harron equaliser secured a point for the home side after a well organised Glenree outfit played their part in an entertaining game at the Hospital Field. Glenree opened the scoring on twenty minutes when Nick Mc Clafferty lost his man to prod home a set piece delivery. Donegal fought back strongly and two David Bustard goals put them in front before the break. The first was a good finish from a tight angle after the ‘keeper had saved his original effort. The second arrived when Paul Gerard Duncan found Bustard inside the area and he added the finish. Donegal started the better after the break and created some good chances. Glenree always remained dangerous from set pieces and it was from a set piece that Nick Nelis got them back into the game with a good finish at the near post. Glenree then found themselves in front when they broke on the counter attack and Nick Nelis produced a moment of true quality with an unstoppable strike from a full thirty yards. Donegal never gave up and threw numbers forward in search of an equaliser. Gary Harron had an effort cleared of the line and shortly afterwards Padhraic Mc Glynn went close with a header. Just as it looked like the visitors were about to leave with the points Mc Glynn slipped in David Harron who coolly finished to earn a draw. Overall a fair result on the balance of play with both teams trying hard throughout. Best for Donegal were Willie Dunlop and David Bustard with Nick Nelis Glenree’s standout performer.Curragh Athletic Reserves 3 Keadue Rovers Reserves 0 Keadue Rovers Reserves failed to field a team for their scheduled match against Curragh Athletic Reserves at the New Camp Complex in Killygordan. Several people connected with the League in various capacities were already at the East Donegal venue when news of the cancellation started to filter through. Many Curragh Athletic players were unhappy as they were looking forward to the match however the unavailability of a sufficient number of players seemed to be the problem encountered by one of the League’s longest standing and clubs and unfortunately they had to take the only option open to them. Hopefully they will be able to correct the situation and fulfil their match programme for the season. Meanwhile Curragh Athletic Reserves move on to six points after two series of matches in the Glencar Inn Saturday Division Two of the Donegal Junior League.DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUERESULTSSATURDAY 14-09-2013 Glencar Inn Saturday Division TwoMilford United Reserves 2 v 1 Cranford United ReservesStrand Rovers 1 v 2 Gweedore United ReservesDonegal Town Reserves 3 v 3 Glenree United ReservesCurragh Athletic Reserves 3 v 0 Keadue Rovers ReservesDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEFIXTURESSATURDAY 21-09-2013 K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)Old Orchard Saturday Division OneSt. Catherines Reserves v Glenea United ReservesCastlefin Celtic Reserves v Orchard F.C.Glencar Celtic v Mulroy CelticErne Wanderers v Fintown Harps AFCGlencar Inn Saturday Division TwoGlenree United Reserves v Arranmore United (K.O. 1 p.m.)Milford United Reserves v Donegal Town ReservesStrand Rovers v Keadue Rovers ReservesGweedore United Reserves v Curragh Athletic ReservesCranford United Reserves v Tullyvinney RoversSUNDAY 22-09 2013 K.O. 2 p.m. (Unless Stated)Brian Mc Cormick Sports Premier DivisionLifford Celtic v Glenea UnitedCranford United v St. CatherinesMilford United v Kilmacrennan CelticDonegal Town v Gweedore CelticCurragh Athletic v Rathmullan CelticWatson Hire Division OneBonagee United v Cappry RoversEany Celtic v Drumoghill F.C.Dunkineely Celtic v Castlefin CelticLagan Harps v Kerrykeel ’71 F.C.Keadue Rovers v Gweedore UnitedCT Ball Division TwoDeele Harps v Copany RoversBallybofey United v Letterbarrow CelticDunlewy Celtic v Raphoe TownConvoy Arsenal v Whitestrand UnitedDrumbar F.C. v Glenree UnitedDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUERESULTSSATURDAY 14-09-2013Glencar Inn Saturday Division TwoMilford United Reserves 2 v 1 Cranford United ReservesStrand Rovers 1 v 2 Gweedore United ReservesDonegal Town Reserves 3 v 3 Glenree United ReservesCurragh Athletic Reserves 3 v 0 Keadue Rovers ReservesREPORTSSUNDAYFAI Junior CupErne Wanderers 0 Cockhill Celtic Youths 3Erne Wanderers hosted Cockhill Celtic Youths in the FAI Junior Cup on Friday night under lights at the Lakeside Centre. The game was played in perfect conditions. .The away team started the better of the two teams and settled well. After ten minutes Erne started to get to grips with their slick counterparts. With Celtic struggling to break through a solid Erne backline Wanderers were beginning to create some half chances. With the halftime break approaching Celtic had an attack on the right wing which was initially dealt with by the Wanderers’ defence but a poor clearance fell to Cockhill’s midfielder who spread it out to the wing and the resulting cross to the back post was met by Celtic’s centre forward Alan Fletcher who planted his header into the far corner. The second half started with Erne introducing Dermott Slevin and his calming influence helped Wanderers. The home side enjoyed a period of supremacy during which Adam Coyne and Stephen Curneen had half chances. Wanderers were stunned when a long clearance from Celtic’s backline was converted by Darragh McDermott, despite Karl O’ Brien’s attempted block. This sucker punch knocked the stuffing out of Wanderers and they lost their way in the last ten and when a clearance from Erne’s backline fell to John Campbell on the halfway line on eighty five minutes he just lashed it straight towards the Erne goals and the ball sailed in over O’ Brien’s head and into the het. Best for Erne were Peter Mc Gonigle and it was a team effort from Celtic. Referee: John Mc Glanaghey.Fintown Harps AFC 2 Ballybofey United 2(Ballybofey United won 5-4 on penalties)The first half started great for the Harps with Peadar Toner getting taken down in the box. Daragh Gallagher scored the resulting penalty. In the 30th minute Ballybofey were awarded a penalty after one of their men got taken down in the box. Conor Doherty despatched the spot kick to level the scores. Ballybofey then capitalised on a gap in the Harps defence and Daragh Redman took on Fintown keeper Stephen McGrath and made no mistake, making it 2-1 to Ballybofey United. Fintown’s Daragh Gallagher then scored from a free kick in the 70th minute. When extra time failed to separate the sides it went to penalties with Ballybofey United progressing by five to four. Referee: Seamus Mc GonigleGlenea United 4 Illies Celtic 1Glenea qualified for the next round of the FAI Junior Cup with this well earned victory over Illies. In wintry conditions it was Glenea who settled the quickest and took the lead on 10 minutes when, after good work by Michael Barry down the left , his cross found Sean McBride who drove the ball home from 12 yards out. The home side pressed for a 2nd goal and were rewarded on 25 minutes when Sean Coll’s through ball released Darren Mc Geever and he kept his composure to drill the ball home from a tight angle. In the 2nd half Illies came more into the game and on 55 minutes Paddy Doherty pulled a goal back when he beat two defenders and curled the ball home from the edge of the box. The away side pressed hard for an equalizer but were kept at bay by the Glenea defence and it was the home side who extended their lead on 65 minutes when Paul Sweeney’s clearance was misjudged by the Illies keeper and the ball ran into the net. Glenea had opportunities to increase their lead but had to wait until the 82nd minute when Denis Boyle played in Darren Mc Geever who slotted the ball home.Best for Glenea were Padraig McGee and Michael Mc Clafferty while Sean Mc Laughlin and Paddy Doherty were best for Illies. Referee: Mick Lagan.Raphoe Town 6 Ramelton Mariners 1Raphoe started this FAI Junior Cup game well and took the lead when Tom Mc Hugh headed home from a Paddy Gallagher corner. Ramelton started to come into the game more after this and got a deserved goal when their forward finished off a fine move. Raphoe regained the lead when Jamie Gallagher finished well after a great pass from captain Paddy Gallagher. Raphoe got another before half time when Emmett Kelly finished well after great work from Lee Smith. Raphoe made a few changes at half time when David Craig and Christy Bogle entered the fray and Raphoe scored again when young Simon Mc Glynn got in on the act with a great finish. David Craig and Jamie Gallagher added two more goals near the end as Raphoe progressed to the next round. Good team performance from Ramelton. Finbar Allen, Simon Mc Glynn, Mark Bogle and Sean Friel were best for Raphoe. Referee: Marty Quinn.Curragh Athletic 2 Bonagee United 0Played in very blustery conditions both teams played some decent football in this first round of the FAI Junior Cup. The first half saw very few chances with Roy Duffy saving well on thirty five minutes and his counterpart John Carr doing equally well on thirty nine minutes to turn a Calvin Bradley free kick around the post. The second half saw a lot more chances with Dan O’ Brien setting up Renato who fired over and O’ Brien then missed when through one on one with Carr. Roy Duffy then had to be smart with saves from Kevin Doran and Reece Shortt. Calvin Bradley almost got the winning goal in the last minute but his shot went narrowly wide. Extra time began and Curragh took the lead on ninety four minutes when Renato curled home a corner before Calvin Bradley wrapped up the game with a shot from outside the box. Bonagee United had a good team performance with Dan O’ Brien and Garth Gallagher always looking sharp for Curragh Athletic. Referee: Gerry GallagherGweedore United 4 Glenree United 1This game played in extremely windy conditions in Gweedore saw the home side advance to the next round of the Cup thanks to a good second half team performance. The first half began with the visitors going in front in the 2nd minute when Nicholas Nelis headed a rebounded free kick past Liam Mc Fadden to make it 1-0. Both sides tried to settle and deal with conditions and Gweedore went in search of an equaliser. Ciaran Mc Fadden found himself one on one with Stephen Doherty in the Glenree nets on a number of occasions, however Doherty saved well each time. Glenree looked dangerous on the break however the score remained 1-0 until half time. The second half started with the home side looking sharp and they began to throw the ball about. This good play paid off in the 49th minute following a good pass from Shane O’ Donnell to Eugene Noel Ferry and Ferry struck well from 20 yards into the top corner past Doherty to make it 1-1.The home side continued to push and three minutes later were 2-1 up when Michael Connolly and Ciaran Mc Fadden combined and Mc Fadden finished well. Glenree could have equalised in the 60th minute however Nelis’s shot was well blocked by Brian Gallagher. In the 61st minute Matthew Byrnes put Michael Connolly through and Connolly rounded the keeper and tapped home. In the 78 minute Mc Fadden got his second and Gweedore’s fourth when he finished well past Doherty to make it 4-1. Good team efforts from both sides with Martin Mc Elhinney, Stephen Doherty and Oisin Langan excelling for Glenree.Castlefin Celtic 3 Kilmacrennan Celtic 2In difficult weather conditions in Parkview it was a close game. Castlefin took the lead after three minutes when Ronan Tourish broke down the wing and found Damien Mc Anenny free in the box and he slotted home. The Castlefin keeper then took down the Kilmacrennan striker in the box on thirty one minutes. Michael McLaughlin stepped up to score the penalty to equalise for Kilmacrennan. With both teams trying to take the lead before half time Castlefin won a corner on forty four minutes, A Dylan White corner came to the front post only to see the Kilmacrennan centre half Shane Sandilands head into this own net.The second half started with Kilmacrennan having the better of the chances. They were denied by two great saves from Anthony O’Hagan in the Castlefin goals. Castlefin made it 3-1 on 78minutes when PJ Mc Menamin’s cross found Matthew O’Rourke who fired home.Seconds later Kilmacrennan pulled it back to 3-2 with a free kick finding Liam McBride unmarked in the box. Castlefin held on to win and make the next round of the cup. Referee: Patrick Martin. Best for Castlefin: Ciaran Brennan and Michael Dunnion. Best for Kilmacrennan: Liam McBride.Suvtrus F.C. 1 Glencar Celtic 5No ReportGweedore Celtic 1 Kerrykeel ’71 F.C. 7In blustery conditions at An Screaban Kerrykeel went through to the next round of the Cup with a resounding victory over the home team. Gweedore were short a number of regulars but Kerrykeel fully deserved their victory. They opened the scoring on ten minutes with Fergus Callaghan slotting home from close range. Johnny Friel doubled the lead on twenty minutes when he headed in a cross. He got on the end of another cross on the half hour to side-foot into the net. Gweedore pulled one back on forty minutes when Paul Rua McBride converted a penalty. With the home team reduced to ten men for the second half the visitors took control and cantered to an easy win. Paddy Mc Granaghan hit number four on fifty minutes. John Friel completed his hat-trick on sixty minutes. Mark Friel claimed number 6 on seventy minutes and five minutes later Kevin Loughrey was on target. A good team performance by Kerrykeel.Referee: Ronan FloydDrumoghill F.C. 3 Keadue Rovers 2A brilliant hat-trick from Liam O’Donnell secured Drumoghill’s passage to the next round of the FAI Junior Cup after this extra time thriller in St. Johnston. Despite taking a 2-0 lead and appearing to be cruising to victory, Drumoghill needed extra time to finally secure victory after Keadue had bravely fought back in the latter stages to force extra time. The first half was an even affair, the only goal of which was registered by Liam O’Donnell on 30 minutes when he was sent clear by Richard Tinney to drive low past Ben Boyle from a narrow angle. Shane McIntyre had a great chance to extend the advantage on 52 minutes but Boyle produced a superb save. However, moments later O’Donnell doubled the lead with his second strike from a 25 yard free kick that gave Boyle no chance. With the game seemingly heading Drumoghill’s way, Keadue introduced Marty Redmond from the bench and his impact was immediate. On 72minutes his cross was cleared only as far as Luke Neely and the striker’s accurate effort evaded the efforts of three defenders on the goal line. The equaliser arrived with 8 minutes of normal time remaining when Mark Sweeney’s through ball was adjudged to have been handled by Chris O’Donnell and referee Martin Mc Annaney pointed to the spot before Donal Rodgers kept his nerve to force extra time.Keadue were now on top and started the extra period looking the most likely to score but it was from a Drumoghill counter attack that the game was ultimately decided. In the 4th minute of extra time, Packie Coll’s long ball sent O’Donnell clear and the striker held off the challenge of Eoin Redmond to complete his hat-trick and finally clinch victory.Lagan Harps 0 Cappry Rovers 4Cappry went through to the next round after a comfortable win over Lagan Harps. Cappry started well and Darren O’Leary shot over on eighteen minutes. Lagan had their best opportunity of the match on twenty three minutes when Ross Hamlyn put Shane Kelly through but he shot weakly at Benji O’Meara. Cappry continued to dominate with their pressure finally being rewarded on twenty eight minutes. Darren O’Leary rose highest to power home a header from a corner. Lagan made some changes before half time and improved for the first twenty minutes of the second half without really troubling the Cappry goal. Cappry always looked the more threatening and wrapped up the game with their second on eighty two minutes. Barney Lafferty was played through and he beat the advancing Michael Toner to the ball and chipped home. Cappry added another on eighty five minutes. Michael Toner did well to push away a Brendan Mc Laughlin free for a corner. However from the resulting corner his fisted clearance rebounded into the net off a Lagan defender. Cappry completed the scoring in the final minute when Darren O’Leary was left free at the back post to head home another corner. For Lagan Paul Rodgers was their outstanding player while Cappry had Darren O’Leary, Alan Patton and Brendan Mc Laughlin as their stand out performers on the day. Referee: Marty Mc Garrigle.Eany Celtic 0 Aileach F.C. 3Aileach kept their unbeaten run intact at a blustery Eany Park. The visitors had the best of the first half with only a few chances falling to Eany. Early in the second half a brace of goals from Gavin Doherty put Aileach in front. Anthony Doherty completed the scoring when he found space in the Eany box at a corner. Eany goalkeeper Glen Campbell made a fine save in the second half from a penalty.Milford United 0 Cootehill Harps 5Milford made an early exit from the Junior Cup with a home defeat to Cavan side Cootehill Harps. Cootehill scored twice on the break in the first half with two well taken goals against a very casual and lack lustre home side. Milford’s best chance fell to Lee Burke but Cootehill’s keeper must be credited for making a good save.Milford dominated the second half, pushing to get a goal back, but failed despite having chances through Jamie Heena, Joey Cullen and Peter Doherty. As Milford pressed forward they were caught three times in final five minutes by counter attacks from Cootehill. Five nil it ended. Referee: Ed MooreLifford Celtic 3 Cranford United 2On a blustery day in Greenbrae Park it was Lifford who took an early lead as Ian Ward raced clear of the Cranford defence to cooly finish to the bottom corner. Johnny Robb and Damien Patton had chances to extend Lifford’s lead only for slightly wayward finishing. Two quick goals in succession put Lifford three ahead just as half time approached; Kevin Mc Brearty got on the scoresheet with a 25 yard free kick moments before Johnny Mahon struck a 30 yard drive to the top corner giving the Cranford netminder no chance. The second half began with Cranford committing more men forward which opened up the game with both sides creating opportunities. Philip Buchannan pulled a goal back for Cranford after a through ball from Kyle Black on the hour mark. This sparked Cranford into life as the same two players combined on 75 minutes for Buchannan to get his and Cranford’s second and set up a grandstand finish. Lifford regrouped and saw out the final 15 minutes to progress to the next round with this hard earned 3-2 victory.Whitestrand United 4 Orchard F.C. 2On a cold and blustery day the White Strand took on Orchard FC. The match stared with the White Strand on the front foot assisted by the wind. Calvin McGowan missed with first real chance for either side when he missed from 12 yards out. On 11 minutes Orchard FC keeper made a good save from the Strand but it was followed up by Paul Lynch, who coolly slotted home. The Strand continued on the offensive with chances missed by Jerome Burke and Calvin McGowan. Then on the half hour Burke hit the bar with an excellent strike. This was only a stay of execution for Orchard as Burke scored directly from a corner, which was undoubtedly aided by the blustery conditions. On a rare venture forward Orchard almost got one back before half time but Eamon Martin made a goal saving tackle. The referee then blew for half time with the White Strand two up.The Second half began with Orchard FC having the wind at their backs. The pressure eventually told when Charles McLaughlin scored for Orchard. Any fears that this would be game on were extinguished as Calvin McGowan broke clear and Jerome Burke finished to bag his second goal on 70 minutes. The Strand then put the ball into the box dangerously and Burke scored his third for the match ball on 75 minutes. There was clearly a sense that the game was now beyond Orchard FC but they did grab a consolation when Damien Wallace scored from Niall Bonner’s corner. Best for the White Strand were Jerome Burke and Paul Lynch. Best for Orchard were Tommy McLaughlin and Charles Mc Laughlin. Referee: Brian O’ KaneDeele Harps 3 Clones Town 1Deele welcomed Monaghan outfit Clones Town to The Athletic Grounds for this FAI Junior Cup tie on a very blustery afternoon. The home side were brightest in the early exchanges and were in control without creating too much. In the 25th minute a defence splitting pass from Conor Catterson played in Shane Gallagher who finished well. However in the 32nd minute the wind played it’s part in deceiving the Deele keeper and the Clones striker nipped in to score on the line. The second half was dominated again by Deele with Clones limited to half chances. Paul Martin restored Deele’s advantage in the 60th minute after he headed home an excellent corner from Aidy Gallagher. Gavin Gallagher then raced free from midfield to round the keeper and score. Decent team performance from Clones while James McNulty and Daire Kelly starred for Deele. Referee: Paddy DuffyTullyvinney Rovers 0 Buncrana Harps 3Tullyvinney, starting without a number of regulars, started the game brightly. The Inishowen men got the breakthrough midway into the first half when a Kieran Mc Daid effort was blocked and the quick thinking Stephen McHugh cooly finished past Declan Malley in the Tullyvinney nets. Soon after the lead was doubled when McHugh finished Gary O ‘Flaherty’s cross with a superb over head kick. Tullyvinney almost pulled one back before half time when Michael Shields found himself in space in the box only to miss when it looked easier to score.The second half was a much tighter affair with both defences well on top, Buncrana’s third goal coming in controversial fashion with the home side claiming offside against goal scorer Gary O’ Flaherty. Tullyvinney had one last chance through Mark Hegarty but the defender failed to control his effort putting it wide of the upright. Best for Buncrana were Stephen McHugh and Kieran Mc Daid. Hard working team effort from Tullyvinney.SUNDAY 15-09 2013FAI Junior CupErne Wanderers 0 v 3 Cockhill Celtic YouthsFintown Harps AFC 2 v 2 Ballybofey United(Ballybofey United won 5-4 on penalties)Glenea United 4 v 1 Illies CelticRaphoe Town 6 v 1 Ramelton MarinersCurragh Athletic 2 v 0 Bonagee UnitedGweedore United 4 v 1 Glenree UnitedCastlefin Celtic 3 v 2 Kilmacrennan CelticSuvtrus F.C. 1 v 5 Glencar CelticGweedore Celtic 1 v 7 Kerrykeel ’71 F.C.Drumoghill F.C. 3 v 2 Keadue RoversLagan Harps 0 v 4 Cappry RoversEany Celtic 0 v 3 Aileach F.C.Milford United 0 v 5 Cootehill HarpsLifford Celtic 3 v 2 Cranford UnitedWhitestrand United 4 v 2 Orchard F.C.Deele Harps 3 v 1 Clones TownTullyvinney Rovers 0 v 3 Buncrana HarpsDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUE – ALL THE REPORTS, RESULTS AND FIXTURES was last modified: September 15th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal LeaguefixturesreportsResultslast_img